Wednesday, March 28, 2007

hey everyone...

ok everytime I post a poem it means that I didnt have time to write my blog... lol (WAAAY too much being made of just a poem thats why ;) )

my last to last post I said I would talk a little about cricket ? but i realized that no matter what I say its not going to make much of a difference.... someone rightly said ..... cricket is played by 11 fools and watched by another million ! (besides basketball is my thing anyway... :D)

by the way todays rant will begin at marvelling the collection of blogs that have sprung up...... I just wanted to see which blog would be mine after mine i clicked on "next blog" ... AND i came across one on NAXALS, one in russian (despite my best efforts at trying to read the russian ad... COME ON -the only famous russian thing that I know is an AK-47 ! well that and the toy automatic car that my dad got me from moscow... which I might say even made archies jalopy look like a BENTLEY ! )

anyway before i get carried away... ok being a part academic ( part academic because in my opinion only PHDS and profs count as FULL academic ) I used the google scholar quite extensively.. its quite brilliant actually.... links to ACTUAL articles... but there are major copyright problems there, which I might talk about next time ( if its not in your destiny to suffer one of my poems :P )
BUT
what i wanted to talk about was whether google could take over wikipedia.. think about it for a second... what is google BEST at ? U say search... well thats a little superficial.. dig a little deeper... why did google start maps or why did it buy youtube (or on a rather sad note why has my homepage become google news :P )... its awesome at MANAGING information ! its an information world baby !

like youtube driven by user content.. wikipedia is massively driven by user adapted content ! the best part is it opens LIMITLESS opportunities (k now you will realize why I started with scholar). It would be brilliant if they were able to interface wiki with google scholar.. jesus I am getting even jittery at the thought !

anyways if u have any thoughts on this.. let me know.. cheers

( FINANICAL TIMES HEADLINE YR 2050 - GOOGLE MAPS NEARBY SOLAR SYSTEM FINDING LIFE ! )

1 comment:

$upergirl said...

One question- WHY would google take over wiki?! Like, google itself is like the universal set of information n wat wiki offers is only a subset of that.. Secondly, wiki is user ADAPTED as u said, so that means, a lot of the info it provides is not necessarily authentic..
Only advantage i see is better manageability.. Coz wiki is like a one stop shop of all the info related to a particular topic, classified into sections and crosslinked to other stuff etc.. That makes using it easier..
Of course, if it comes with ll its auxillaries like wikiquote n wat not, then it would truly be amazing !!